Saturday, February 5, 2011

Fifty-first day of unemployment

I’ve been unemployed for almost two months. It’s hard to survive when you don’t receive unemployment after losing your job. My savings has run out and I have to start coming up with innovative ideas for making money, or go to family for help. Family isn’t the best option because they’ve all been hit hard by the economy too.
Food is a priority, so we have to choose which bills to pay. Thankfully there aren’t any children in the picture. It would be terrible to grow up wondering if there would be a roof over your head the next day. I’m glad the pups are oblivious to the impending scenarios.
I have a college degree, I started working at 15, I always get rave reviews from my coworkers and bosses...job hunting shouldn't be so hard for me. I’m not the best interviewee. I get too self-conscious and I can’t think. I have trouble selling me.
Hope is on the horizon. My W-2s arrived and I did my taxes. We’ll be able to pay for about a month of bills with the refunds I’ll be getting. As long as the landlord cooperates while we wait for me to receive the refunds.
Being homeless has never been such a possibility for me in the past. I’m no stranger to unemployment, but I had sources of money to get me through those times before. There was unemployment insurance the first time, and credit cards the second. There’s no income this time because neither of those are options.

3 comments:

  1. I was homeless for a summer when I was young, and found it to be quite the adventure. Doing involuntarily, in the middle of winter, is an entirely different prospect. Would it be possible to get a climate-controlled storage unit? You could put your stuff there, and at least use it to get warm, and the rent would be much less than paying for an apartment.

    Hope it doesn't come to that. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, definitely sounds tough right now and scary(!), but don't give up hope. You'll be in my prayers! Keep updating!

    *Hugs* if you need them =)

    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both so much for your comments! I really appreciate you taking the time to read and leave me positive comments. I'm going to keep writing and I'm hoping that things will become more positive soon.

    ReplyDelete